Philip Bynoe Electric bass/Upright bass/Cello
Who am I?
I’m a lifelong professional musician. My father was a bassist. My mother was a cellist. My siblings and I all played instruments growing up. Since I started learning cello at age six, I never looked back. Classically trained, rock and roll refined—I play every genre of music. I perform and record for two kids’ bands, one of them my own. My biggest claim to fame to date has been as bassist for Steve Vai, for whom I’ve done five world tours and several regional tours. I’ve been sharing my love of music with students of all ages since 1993.
I believe in doing what I love and loving what I do. Music is a gift. Every day I’m thankful that I’ve had the good fortune to earn my living making and teaching music.
- Public school and private lessons through high school
- Berkeley College of Music, Bass Department, Wit Browne
- L.A. College of Music (Pasadena), Bass Department staff, 2001-present
- Carpenter School (Boston) – After school music teacher, 1993-97
- Park School (Boston) – Summer music and band teacher, 1993-97
- Boston Public Schools – Urban Improv Children’s Theatre, 1993-96
- Band coaching
- Private instruction, bass
- Beginner’s guitar
- International bass clinician (Citrus College)
- Music direction for recording and performance
Steve Vai, Wit Browne, Dorian Holley, Slash, Kevin Eubanks, Nuno Bettencourt, Gary Cherone, Rich Appleman
Philip is now accepting students on a limited basis. Why not learn from the best? Use the form below to request more information on hiring Philip for your school as a music teacher or for private music lessons.